A Look at the Visa Signature Hotel Collection
Visa Signature cardholders have an exclusive benefit that often goes unrecognized–access to special treatment at over 800 luxury hotels around the world. You simply book your stay with your Visa Signature card at visasignaturehotels.com or at 1-800-953-7392. Special benefits are:
- Automatic room upgrade upon arrival, when available.
- Free in-room Internet or Valet parking (if both are offered, the choice is at your option, up to $50 in value per day).
- Complimentary continental breakfast.
- 3PM check-out, when available.
- VIP Guest status.
- $25 food or beverage voucher.
- Best available rate guarantee. Within 24 hours of booking, if you find a better publicly available rate, Visa Signature will match it. However, the rate you find must have identical booking requirements and policies for payment and cancellation.
List of Visa Signature Cards:
Cards include: United MileagePlus Explorer, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Marriott Rewards®, The Hyatt Credit Card, Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, Alaska Airlines Visa Signature, Hawaiian Airlines Visa Signature, Capital One Venture Rewards, Virgin America Visa Signature Card, Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature card.
Overall, the Visa Signature Hotel Collection offers a good value and is certainly worth considering when booking luxury properties. I found only a few rates that were significantly lower and these rates were inflexible, no-cancellation rates, and did not offer the additional benefits of the Visa Signature Hotel collection. For example, according to the terms and conditions of the program, the choice of free in-room internet or free valet parking is at your option if both are offered. In major cities, valet rates can approach the $50 daily limit. When you factor in the food/beverage credit ($25), free continental breakfast for two (estimated value of $30), and value of automatic free room upgrade (where available), the value of booking through the Visa Signature Hotel Collection site can easily surpass $100 in value. I was unable to any rate approaching $100 less.
Based on our experience using this program at a small, boutique hotel in Istanbul, Turkey, I would be cautious about using this program at smaller hotels. First, smaller hotels will have fewer rooms available for free upgrades. Second, there may be less familiarity with the program which can lead to frustration trying to get the free perks that should have been included (free breakfast, for example).
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. (Deluxe city view king room)
- Visa Signature: $235/night (cancel by 4pm one day prior)
- MandarinOriental.com: $235 (same)
- Hotels.com: $235 (same)
- Kayak.com: $235 (same)
- Expedia.com: $235 (same)
- Andaz, Wall Street (Andaz Large King)
- Visa Signature: $280/night (Cancel by 3pm est 24 hours prior to arrival)
- Hyatt.com: $280 (non-refundable)
- Hotels.com: $255 (non-refundable); $275 (refundable)
- Kayak.com: $252 (non-refundable)
- Expedia.com: $255 (non-refundble); $275 (refundable)
- London during the Olympics: Blakes Hotel London (Luxury Double-Features a King bed, balcony, complimentary WiFi, air conditioning, shower and bathtub and writing deskRoom size: 22-25 m² / 237-269 ft²)
- Visa Signature: $387/night (cancel 1 day prior by 2pm)
- blakeshotels.com: $390 (same as above)
- Expedia.com: $392 (same)
- Orbitz.com: $325 (same cancellation policy except that Orbitz will charge your credit card at time of booking, Visa Siganture Hotel Collection does not. Because the payment policies are different, Visa Signature Hotel Collection will not price match this rate)
- Park Hyatt, Paris-Vendôme (Deluxe King: Features a King bed, limestone bath and rain shower and courtyard or city views)
- Visa Signature: $993/night (Cancel 1 day prior to arrival until 3pm hotel time)
- Hyatt.com (daily rate): $967 (same cancellation policy)
- Hyatt.com (Romance at Park rate): $924 (includes Breakfast daily; Bottle of Rose Champagne and Sweets; Confirmed, Complimentary one-category room upgrade at time of booking; In-room breakfast for two with champagne valid once per stay then American Breakfast at Les Orchidees Restaurant thereafter;2:00pm late checkout; same cancelllation policy)
- Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle Washington (Executive Suite -King, Suite with 1 King bed and a spacious parlor. Non-smoking suite. Room size: 42 m² / 450 ft²)
- Visa Signature: $349/night (cancel by 6pm one day prior)
- Fairmont.com: $349 (cancel by 6pm one day prior); $297 (non-refundable).
- Kayak.com: $374 (cancel by 10am 2 days prior)
- Kayak.com: $318 (non-refundable)
- Hotels.com: $318 (non-refundable); $374 (refundable-cancel by 4pm, 4 days prior)