Review of the Virgin America Visa® Signature Card
Earn up to 15,000 Bonus Points
Virgin America has partnered with Barclays Bank to offer the Virgin America Visa® Signature Card. New cardholders will earn 10,000 Elevate points with their first purchase, plus up to 5,000 more points with a balance transfer (1 point per dollar transferred). Additionally, cardmembers will receive $150 off a companion ticket every year.
Cardmembers will earn 3 points per dollar spent on Virgin America. These points are in addition to the 5 points per dollar of Virgin America base fare earned as a basic Elevate program member. With the Virgin America Visa Signature Card, your Elevate points can really start adding up. You will also earn 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. In addition, cardmembers will earn 10,000 bonus Elevate status points after spending at least $25,000 in a calendar year.
Plus, cardholders are awarded 300 more points with every $5,000 in net purchases, up to 1,200 bonus points per year. Compared to most other airline cards, the Virgin America Visa Signature Card carries a relatively low annual fee of $49. The card also currently offers an attractive low introductory rate on balance transfer
Best Features of the Virgin America Visa Signature Card:
- 10,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase.
- $150 off a companion ticket every year.
- Up to 5,000 more Bonus Points with a low intro rate on balance transfers in the first 90 days (earn 1 point per dollar transferred up to a maximum of 5,000 points; a balance transfer fee will apply).
- 10,000 Elevate Status Points after spending at least $25,000 in a calendar year.
- No blackout dates on any seat, at any time for reward flights.
- Low introductory rate on balance transfers for the first 15 months after account opening.
- Low $49 annual fee.
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details.
Least Attractive Features:
- Point redemptions on partner airlines Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia will incur substantial taxes and fees.
Earning Elevate Points:
- 3 Points per $1 on Virgin America. (This is in addition to the 5 points per dollar of base fare earned as an Elevate member).
- 1 Point per $1 spent everywhere else.
- Up to 1,200 Additional Points per year (You will earn 300 Bonus Points for every $5,000 in net purchases per year, up to a Maximum of 1,200 annual Bonus Points).
- You can earn Elevate points with various partners including Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, Avis, and Budget.
Using Elevate Points:
- One Way flights can be redeemed for as little as 2,500 points.
- The number of Elevate points required for Reward flights are based on the price of the ticket; Elevate points are worth a little over 2 cents each (which is good).
- You can redeem Elevate points for international trips with Virgin America’s partner airlines, including Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia.
- The points required varies and you still must pay the taxes and fees. For example, a round-trip economy ticket from Washington or New York to London can be redeemed for 15,000 points though taxes and fee of $650 will apply.
- Elevate points do not expire as long as you have earning or redemption activity at least once every 18 months.
- Annual: $49.
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%.
- $150 off a Companion fare every year. You will receive a $150 Virgin America Companion Ticket Discount Code each year. The companion must travel with a paid (published fare) traveler on the same itinerary. The travel must be purchased with the Virgin America Visa Signature card. Round-trip travel and advance 14 day purchase required.
- Deals and upgrades at world-class hotels, resorts & spas (subject to credit approval).
- Visa Signature Cardholder benefits, including 24/7 access to a concierge (800-953-7392), 90 days purchase protection due to theft or vandalism (up to $500/claim), the Visa Signature Hotel Collection benefits, Year-End Summary Statements, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, and more.