Review of the US Airways Premier World MasterCard
Receive up to 40,000 bonus miles
The US Airways Premier World MasterCard offers a generous bonus of 30,000 miles with your first use of the card. You’ll also earn up to 10,000 bonus miles with a balance transfer (1 mile per dollar transferred in the first 90 days). You’re entitled to use First Class check-in, priority Zone 2 boarding, a free US Airways Club pass every year, and a certificate for up to 2 domestic companion tickets for $99 each (plus fees and taxes).
Cardholders earn 2 miles per dollar spent on US Airways and 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases. You will have the ability to earn and use your miles on members of the Star Alliance, which includes United, SAS, ANA, Air Canada, and Lufthansa, among others. US Airways offers some attractive miles awards including business class awards to North Asia for as low as 85,000 miles with this card.
Finally, you’ll be able to redeem award tickets for 5,000 fewer miles than under regular rules (starting at 20,000 miles).
Best Features of the US Airways Premier World MasterCard:
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles with qualifying transactions
- Exclusive: Book award flights for 5,000 fewer miles – award travel starts at just 20,000 miles for cardmembers
- Zone 2 boarding on all US Airways flights
- Earn 2 miles per $1 on US Airways purchases
- Earn 1 mile per $1 on purchases everywhere else
- Annual companion certificate good for up to 2 companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- First Class check-in
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details
Least Attractive Features:
- 3% foreign transaction fee if you are a frequent foreign traveler.
- There are award blackout dates.
Use 85,000 miles (cardholders can redeem awards for 5,000 less miles) to book a round-trip business class ticket anywhere in North Asia on Star Alliance mileage partners. I looked up a September 7-16, 2012 flight in business class from IAD (Washington) to NRT (Tokyo) on Star Alliance partner, ANA. The business class fare on ANA was $7991.40. Taxes were $89. By using miles, your out-of-pocket cost for this ticket would be $50 award processing fee plus $89 in taxes for $139 total. The value of your miles works out to $7852.40 or over 9 cents a mile! Star Alliance award tickets are a great use of US Airways miles. Star Alliance awards must be booked through over the phone at 800-428-4322 (there’s no fee for calling reservations because of the lack of internet option). US Airways does not show Star Alliance flights on their web site, but you can check Star Alliance availability on United’s website by selecting “Award Travel” when searching flights.
- 2 miles per dollar for tickets purchased on US Airways.
- 1 mile per dollar on everything else.
- 30,000 bonus miles with your first use.
- Up to 10,000 additional bonus miles with a balance transfer (1 mile per dollar transferred) in the first 90 days. However, a balance transfer fee with apply.
- Award ticket redemption at Off-Peak, Low, Medium, and High levels.
- Round-trips within the continental US as low as 25,000; off-peak round-trip awards to Hawaii, South America, and Europe.
- Round-trip awards only; no one-way awards.
- Use your miles to upgrade. Within the U.S., upgrades are 5,000 to 10,000 miles plus a fee of $25 to $125 depending on flight distance.
- Annual: $89
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%
- 1 US Airways Club® pass per year.
- Priority (Zone 2) Boarding.
- Can use First Class check-in line.
- A certificate for up to two companion tickets for $99 each (plus taxes and fees).