Earn Double and Triple Starpoints in Better by the Night Promotion
With Starwood’s latest promotion, you can earn double Starpoints on 1 to 2 night stays and triple Starpoints on stays of 3 nights or more. The Better by the Night promotion lasts from October 1 to December 20, 2012. Register by November 30, 2012.
You can earn an additional 250 Starpoints by booking at spg.com or 500 Starpoints by booking through the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) iPhone app, which is available here.
With this deal, a regular non-elite SPG member (who earn 2 points per dollar) who paid $100/night for a one night stay would earn 400 Starpoints (2 base Starpoints x 2 [doubling] x 100). If she booked through the iPhone app, she would earn an additional 500 Starpoints for 900 Starpoints total.
A Gold SPG member (who earn 3 points per dollar) who paid $100/night for 3 nights ($300 total) would earn 2,100 Starpoints ((2 base Starpoints x 3 [tripling] x 300) + (1 elite Starpoint x 300)). The elite points are not doubled or tripled. Using the iPhone app would earn 500 more for 2,600 total.
Most SPG properties (Four Points, Sheraton, Westin, Aloft) fall into categories 2 and 3. A category 2 night can be redeemed for 4,000 Starpoints (and 3,000 on the weekend). A category 3 night can be redeemed for 7,000 Starpoints.
I do not view this as an amazing promotion because it would take either several stays or one lengthy or expensive one to earn a free night. But there’s no downside, either, as Starpoints can be transferred to about 30 different frequent flyer programs including Delta, American, British Airways, and US Airways on a 1:1 basis. Be sure to also register for Marriott’s MegaBonus which is more generous. Marriott’s promotion is essentially 1 free night for every 2 paid nights.
- As is typical, a “stay” is defined as consecutive nights in the same hotel regardless of check-ins and check-outs, so there’s no point in trying to be too clever. Switching Starwood hotels each night would work, however.
- New and existing reservations will earn the bonus as long as the stay is in the date range.
- With double Starpoints, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) regular (non-elite) members will earn an additional two Starpoints per dollar spent (for a total of 4 Starpoints per dollar). With triple Starpoints, SPG regular (non-elite) members will earn an additional four Starpoints per dollar spent (for a total of 6 Starpoints per dollar).
- Gold SPG members (who already earn 1 additional point per dollar) will earn a total of 5 (double) and 7 (triple) Starpoints per dollar; Elite-level extra Starpoint earnings and other bonuses are not be doubled or tripled.
- Stays booked through third-party channels, such as orbitz.com, expedia.com, travelocity.com, etc., are not eligible.