Review of the Delta Reserve American Express Card
The Delta Reserve American Express® is the most exclusive of three cards offered by Delta. As a new Reserve cardholder, you will receive 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) with your first purchase. Medallion Qualifying Miles are status miles that count toward your elite Delta SkyMiles Medallion status without even having to fly. It’s one of only a few cards that provide status qualifying miles simply for obtaining a card. Since 25,000 MQMs are required for Medallion Silver status, you’re 40% of the way to obtaining unlimited free upgrades on Delta (subject to availability).
As a Reserve cardholder, you receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access for yourself and a discounted rate for two (2) guests whenever you travel on Delta. You will also receive a Domestic First or Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.
If you spend $30,000 or more annually with the card, you will be awarded an additional 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 Medallion Qualifying miles. Finally, if you spend $60,000 or more annually, you will be awarded another 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 more MQMs. That’s a total of 30,000 bonus miles and 30,000 MQMs–more than enough for Medallion Silver elite status, and just 20,000 MQMs away from Gold status, without even flying! You can also choose to gift your MQMs to friends and family.
Finally, as a Reserve cardholder, you are also entitled to priority boading and free checked bags (for you and up to 9 companions traveling on the same reservation).
Reserve cardholders earn 2 miles per dollar on purchases with Delta and 1 mile per dollar on everything else.
- The ability to earn qualifying miles toward elite status simply for spending; this card has enough potential bonus qualifying miles to earn Medallion Silver (and just 10,000 MQMs away from Gold) without setting foot on a Delta plane.
- A Domestic First or Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club access for cardholders and a discounted rate ($29 each) for 2 guests.
- Priority boarding and free checked bags.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- 2 miles per dollar on Delta.
- 1 mile per dollar on everything else.
- For new cardholders, a bonus of 10,000 miles and 10,000 MQMs with initial purchase.
- 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 MQMs with $30,000 in annual spending.
- Another 15,000 bonus miles and 15,000 MQMs with $60,000 in annual spending.
- Three award redemption levels: Low, Medium, and High.
- Round-trips within Continental U.S. as low as 25,000; to Europe as low as 60,000 miles.
- One-way award tickets allowed.
- Earn and redeem miles on Delta’s SkyTeam® affiliate airlines as well as other SkyMiles® partners including hotel chains (including Marriott®, Hilton®, W® Hotels) and rental car companies.
- Annual: $450.
- Foreign transaction fee: 0%
- 20% discount on eligible in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, movies, television shows, video games and audio headsets.
- Cardholder and two traveling companions can access Delta’s Sky Clubs more for a reduced fee ($29 per person).
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance.
- Roadside Assistance hotline.
- Global Assist hotline.
- Travel accident insurance.
- Extended warranty and purchase protection.
- Dispute resolution.