This post may contain references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You may read our advertising policy here.
Review of the Chase® Sapphire Preferred Card
Earn 40,000 bonus points worth up to $500.*
Of all the cards TripBadger has reviewed, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® is our favorite. Not only will you earn a generous bonus of 40,000 points for making $4,000 in purchases in the first three months, you will also have tremendous flexibility to use your points as you choose. 40,000 points is worth $400 in airfare or hotel cost, or $500 when using 20% fewer points by booking through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards web site.
You will earn double points for every dollar spent on dining, hotels, airlines, trains, cruises, rental cars, and taxis. You’ll also earn 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. You can also transfer your points on a 1 to 1 basis to other points partners including Marriott®, Hyatt®, Southwest Airlines®, United®, British Airways®, and Amtrak®, among others.
Rather than restricting yourself to a specific airline or hotel to earn points, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you have the flexibility to earn and redeem your points with virtually any airline or hotel and there are no blackout dates.
There are no foreign transaction fees with this card making this a good choice for frequent foreign travelers.
*This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (1) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (2) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.
Best Features of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card:
- Redeem your points for virtually any hotel or airline with no blackout dates, or simply redeem them for cash.
- Earn 2 points per dollar on dining, hotels, airlines, trains, cruises, rental cars, and taxis. Earn 1 point per dollar on all other purchases made with the card.
- 24/7 direct access to a customer service specialist. You don’t have to dial # or 0. I can tell you from personal experience, they really do answer promptly with excellent specialists to assist you!
- Transfer points earned to participating programs at a 1:1 basis.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Chip enabled card for added security.
- This is a very cool looking card made of metal and is far more substantial than your average credit card. It really stands out!
- 2 points per dollar spent on dining, airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and taxis.
- 1 point per dollar on other purchases.
- Earn an additional 5,000 points by adding an authorized user to your account and making in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 1 additional points per dollar (3x total) when you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards website through December 31, 2015.
- Earn bonus points (sometimes up to 10x) by making purchases at over 300 major retailers through the Ultimate Rewards web site.
- Can redeem for airline tickets, hotel stays, gift cards, cash, and more.
- Book through the Ultimate Rewards portal to use 20% fewer points.
- Option to transfer to participating miles/points programs at one for one (1:1) basis.
- Annual: Waived for first year, $95 thereafter.
- Foreign transaction fee: none.
- Access to exclusive events just for Chase Sapphire Preferred card members.
- Travel protections include Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Travel Accident Insurance, Lost Luggage Reimbursement, and Travel and Emergency Assistance Services. Please visit the Chase Sapphire Preferred website for full details.
- Purchase protection. Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended Warranty protection. Using the card extends the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year on eligible warranties of 3 years or less.
- Price protection. If a card purchase you made in the U.S. is advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed the difference up to $500 per item, $2,500 per year.
- Visa Signature Cardholder benefits, including 24/7 access to a concierge (800-953-7392), 90 days purchase protection due to theft or vandalism (up to $500/claim), the Visa Signature Hotel Collection benefits, Year-End Summary Statements, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, and more.
- Zero fraud liability for U.S. cards. (Zero Liability Protection does not apply to ATM transactions or to PIN transactions not processed by Visa).
- Year-end summary of your purchases.
Review Summary: The Chase Sapphire Preferred card gets my highest recommendation. The initial bonus points alone are worth up to $500, and best yet, you get to spend them wherever and whenever you want! Choose virtually any hotel or airline and there’s no blackout dates. Or choose from countless other rewards. The live customer service is for real. I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by an actual person when I activated my card.