Overview of the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program and the Amtrak MasterCard
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Similar to an airline frequent flyer program, Amtrak has its own frequent traveler program called Guest Rewards. Guest Rewards offers two points per dollar spent on Amtrak travel. Points are based on the amount of money spent for Amtrak tickets rather than the miles traveled throughout the Amtrak rail network. In addition, members earn 500 points with each Acela Express business class trip (750 in first class) between select city pairs. Extra points can be earned with over 10,000 hotels, rental cars, and over 1,000 online merchants. The points Guest Rewards members earn may be redeemed for free Amtrak travel, as well as for hotel stays, car rentals, gift certificates at leading restaurants and retailers, and more.
The number of points required for travel redemption is based on a four zone system, divided into the Northeast Zone, the Eastern Zone, the Central Zone, and the Western Zone. Examples of Guest Rewards points needed for free travel:
- One-way coach class ticket in the Northeast Zone = 4,000 points
- One-way business class ticket on the Acela Express = 8,000 points
- One-way one zone coach class ticket = 5,500 points
- One-way three zone roomette = 35,000 (perfect for coast-to-coast travel)
- One-way three zone bedroom = 60,000 (perfect for families traveling coast-to-coast)
To supplement the points balances of Guest Rewards members, Amtrak has partnered with Chase to offer the Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard. Cardmembers earn two points per dollar spent on Amtrak purchases and one point per dollar on all other purchases. New cardmembers earn 12,000 bonus Guest Rewards points after spending $500 within the first three months, which is enough points for a free one-zone Coach class roundtrip or a free one-way business class tickets on the Acela Express.
ADVANTAGES of the Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard:
- No annual fee.
- 12,000 Guest Rewards points after spending $500 within the first 3 months
- 2 points per dollar spent on Amtrak travel.
- 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Points do not expire.
- Foreign transactions fees when using the card outside the United States.